Scale: 1:34.2. A contemporary full hull model of the 74-gun two-decker HMS ‘Hastings’ (1818). It is fully rigged together with a full set of boats on davits and stowed on chocks in the waist. Of particular interest are the hammocks, which are stowed in the box channels above the bulwarks. This model was built on board the actual ship between 1834–37 and then presented to its captain, Sir Henry Shiffner, Bt. Despite this, the proportions are slightly out as the stern is too wide in comparison with the midship-section. The ‘Hastings’ was built in Calcutta and measured 176 feet along the gun deck by 48 feet in the beam. The Royal Navy bought it in 1819 and after taking part in operations on the coast of Syria in 1840 and in Burma in 1852, it was converted into a 60-gun screw battleship. The ‘Hastings’ then became part of the Baltic Fleet in 1855 and took part in the bombardment of Sveaborg. After the war it was used as a blockship, or coastal defence vessel, at Liverpool and later was hulked at Queenstown before finally being sold in 1886..
Check out this link to see the model of Henrys' ship HMS HASTINGS
HENRY SHIFFNER, Esq.
A Magistrate for the County of Sussex.
[Post-Captain of 1819.]
Eldest surviving son of Sir George Shiffner, Bart. M.P. by Mary, only daughter and heiress of Sir John Bridger, of Coombe Place, Lewes, Knt..
This officer was born, Nov. 4, 1789, and educated at the Royal Academy, Portsmouth, from whence he joined the Thetis frigate. Captain (now Rear-Admiral) William Hall Cage, in 1805. His promotion to the rank of lieutenant took place Feb. 10, 1809; on which occasion he was appointed to the Trusty, of 50 guns. In the following month, he was removed to the Owen Glendower 36, Captain William Selby, under whom he assisted at the capture of the island of Anholt, May 18th following. We subsequently find him in the same ship, on the East India station, where he continued under the command of Captain Brian Hodgson, until Nov. 1814; when he received a commission from England, dated Feb. 22nd, promoting him to the command of the Sphynx sloop, then building at Bombay: he returned home, on admiralty leave, in the year 1815. His subsequent appointments were, Jan. 6, 1818, to the Drake of 10 guns, fitting for the Newfoundland station; May 30, 1819, to the Carnation 18; and, Sept. 11th following, to the Egeria 26, at St. John’s. He obtained post-rank Nov. 10th in the latter year; and paid off the Egeria Jan. 5, 1820.
Captain Shiffner married, July 9, 1825, Emily, second daughter of the late Thomas Brooke, of Church Minshull, Cheshire, Esq. His eldest brother, John Bridger Shiffner, a captain in the 3rd regiment of foot guards, was mortally wounded at the sortie from Bayonne, April 14, 1814, and died the following day: he has another brother, George, in holy orders; and one of his sisters, Frances, is married to the Rev. C. E. Keene.
HMS Thetis (1782) was a 38-gun fifth rate launched in 1782 and sold in 1814.
Capture of La Prevoyante and La Raison by Thetis and Hussar, by Thomas Whitcombe
HMS Trusty (1782) was a 50-gun fourth rate launched in 1782, used as a troopship from 1799 and a prison ship from 1809, and broken up in 1815. Because Trusty served in the navy's Egyptian campaign (8 March to 2 September 1801), her officers and crew qualified for the clasp "Egypt" to the Naval General Service Medal, which the Admiralty issued in 1847 to all surviving claimants.
HMS Owen Glendower (or Owen Glendour) was a Royal Navy 36-gun fifth-rate Apollo class frigate launched in 1808 and disposed of in 1884. In between she was instrumental in the seizure of the Danish island of Anholt, captured prizes in the Channel during the Napoleonic Wars, sailed to the East Indies and South America, participated in the suppression of the slave trade, and served as a prison hulk in Gibraltar before she was sold in 1884.
She was named for "Owen Glendower", Shakespeare’s Anglicization of the Welsh Owain Glyndŵr (c.1359-c.1416), the last Welsh Prince of Wales, and a leader of the Welsh against the English. She was the only Royal Navy vessel to bear that name.
HMS Owen Glendower, c. 1820s, from the collection of the Royal Naval Museum.
HMS Drake (1808) was a 10-gun Cherokee-class brig-sloop launched in 1808 and wrecked in 1822.
HMS Sphynx (1815) was a 10-gun Cherokee-class brig-sloop launched in 1815 and sold in 1835.
HMS Carnation (1813) was another Cruizer-class brig-sloop, launched in 1813, and sunk as a target in 1867.
HMS Egeria was a Royal Navy 26-gun Cormorant-class ship-sloop launched at Bridport in 1807. During the Gunboat War she captured three privateers and several merchant vessels. After the Napoleonic Wars she continued on active service until 1825, after which she served as a receiving or accommodation ship. She was eventually broken up in 1865.
HM Ship Egeria, Capt Lewis Hole, with the Aalborg, Danish Cutter, a prize, in Tow, HM Brig Childers shewing her Nos 2 March 1809
In December 1816 Captain Robert Rowley recommissioned her for the Newfoundland Station. In November 1819 Captain Henry Shiffner took command until Egeria was paid off in January 1820.
The figurehead from HMS Hastings now resides in the Merseyside Maritime Museum.
Warren Hastings was effectivly the first Govener General of India
The diary of Captain Henry Shiffner, who became the second baronet in 1842, describes travels in Belgium, Germany, Italy, France and Switzerland with his wife Emily (the daughter of Thomas Brooke esq of Church Minshull, Chester). Shiffner was not then on active service in the navy; his last appointment was to HMS Hastings on 7 April 1834. He retired in 1846 and was eventually promoted to vice-admiral in 1857.
Places visited included Ostend, Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, Mechlin, Brussels (including the site of the Battle of Waterloo), Namur, Liege, Spa, Aix-la-Chapelle, Cologne, Bonn, Koblenz, Frankfurt, Mannheim, Heidelberg, Stuttgart, Augsburg, Munich, Innsbruck, Verona, Venice, Padua, Ferrara, Bologna, Florence, Genoa, Nice, Avignon, Grenoble, Lausanne, Berne, Lucerne, Simplon, Parma, Naples, Rome, Sienna, Milan, Freiberg, and Geneva. It does not cover the last month of the travels, because it concludes at Geneva in July 1831, and the travellers continued to Paris, returning to Brighton via Dieppe in August 1831 (SHR 1452). Detailed expenses for the tour are listed in SHR 1452.
The diary contains pen-and-ink sketches of Mentone, and a view of the harbour at Genoa from the window of the Hotel Quattro Nazioni, both in Italy.
From the East Sussex records office files
The bonfire boys, determined not to be completely defeated in their object, made arrangements for the celebration of their “spree” at midnight on Thursday, and, as soon as the clock struck 12, and the 5th of November was ushered in, a tar-barrel was lit, and started at the top of the town, by a mob. The police, previously informed of what was intended, were on the alert.
A chain was placed across Rotten-Row, and a policeman had hold of each end, with instructions to raise it slightly on the approach of the mob. In conjunction with them, a body of police, with Lord Chichester and Sir Henry Shiffner at their head, lay close by in ambush. A few minutes after midnight, the mob, with the tar barrel, came rushing through the lane, and on the instant they reached the chain, it was pulled tight, and many were consequently thrown to the ground. Immediately upon this, the police were upon them, and took eight prisoners.
MANCHESTER COURIER AND LANCASHIRE GENERAL ADVERTISER 1847
Henry, like his Father before him was a local magistrate. Below is a press cutting from 1847, where Henry, along with fellow Magistrate Lord Chichester were on late night duty.